Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Test Frame

Woke up late today, apparently i cant have two days off in a row. I  needed to get some things done before i could start  the test frame. A quick trip to the hardware store, and a assault on the clutter in  the shop. You will notice the camp stove project on the table as well as the paddle mold on the bench to the left. It was finally time to put them away and get to work on frame #1.

The bevels have been giving me a real hard time. Each time i put the frames together in my head i can't  figure out a way to make them perfect, so i decided to buy some cheap pine from the store and give it a try.

I feel like for a first attempt the finished product turned out OK, although i wouldn't put it in a finished boat. I figured out that unless i can learn some trick  this is going to be tough. One of the major issues is the shitty borrowed table saw. It can cut bevels but it is not a very precise piece of hardware. But like my dad always said, measure with a micrometer draw with a crayon and cut with an ax.

Anyhow here is the finished product.

Here is a close up of one of the bevels, there must be a better way of doing this, trial and error is going to get expensive when the real wood shows up.

 I'm off to make some food and than teach a kayak roll class tonight, lovely i even get to work on my days off. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment