Saturday, September 22, 2012

That Grand Canyon Portfolio

I don't think I have written much about my Grand Canyon trip on this blog yet. I can honestly say it was one of the most trans-formative experiences of my entire life. If you ever get the chance to go on a  private trip go. Figure out how to skip out for a month and go. If you come back and think, "hey that sucked". I will let you beat the crap out of... ...some one else. Point is the place is Magic. Not rabbit out the hat magic but Magic faeries, unicorns, elves, gnomes and shit, Magic.

So when one decides to take such a trip one must record it for posterity. After the tragic loss of my camera gear a couple of years ago I decided to just take a sketch book, old school.  In doing this I thought I would come back and make... I have no idea what I thought I was going to make of this. What has ended up happening is this, I have created a dream. Every time I go to make art the canyon is  there right under the surface.

After getting home and the usual recuperation I tried to change my life. Took what I thought would be a better job. Moved to a different place, was hopeful. But life like the Colorado can sometimes eddy fuck you if  you don't pay attention. (sorry mom that's what its really called.) It took a couple of really hard pulls, building a boat to stay sane, making art to stay sane, dreaming about the canyon to stay sane, and getting the hell out of that eddy!

Well as you know I made it this far. Trying to stay on the bubble and still thinking about the Canyon.

Back to the Art. I thought I would end up getting a canyon portfolio together and that would be the end of it. But the pieces just keep boiling up, less and less like the original place. More and more just a dream. But good or bad they are what they are. This project isn't going to end so here is an update two years later.

Some of this was done on the river, some much much later. These are not the best photographs of the work, I would like to keep it safe from copy.


















Pic

1 comment:

  1. I just caught up on, like, a year's worth of posts here. I love it!

    The new place looks really sweet. I want us to come visit so badly, but it stinks that I have so few vacation days left. It will have to wait until 2013, for sure.

    ReplyDelete