Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Oar Wrap Revisit.

With all this oar making i have really had oars on the brain.Were getting down to the business of leathering the oars. It got me thinking about modern oar wrapping.  For anyone who has had to wrap oars without the help of a machine you know what a pain in the ass it is. 



Anyway i was up last night thinking about how i was going to make the job of wrapping oars easier on me, after all there must be a better way to do this. Last night while reading i think i found the answer, a Serving Mallet.

This tool was originally made to make lines on tall ships fatter so they wouldn't hurt sailors feet. I instantly thought about making a big one for wrapping oars. Today i did.




I thought i would never say this... "I cant wait to wrap my next oar.


On the Powell front, Paint!





Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stuber, this is GREAT work. When do these boats arrive at Lee's Ferry? All the best, tom

    ReplyDelete